Kevin P Scambler & Associates - Tax Agents and Accountants - Financial Services
Specialising in Personal, Business and Property Accounting Since 1994
About Kevin Scambler & Associates
Individual Accounting Needs
Business Accounting Needs
Property Investor Advice
Superannuation Stratergies
Financial Resources
Meet the  Kevin Scambler & Associates team
Contact  Kevin Scambler & Associates
Business Links

Advice for Property Investors

Useful Documents
Guide to Property - from the Australian Taxation Office

Income tax: deductibility of interest on moneys drawn down under line of credit facilities and redraw facilities

Advanced Tax Tips and update for rental property owners

Rental Property Checklist

Rental Property Tax Guide

Rental Property Repairs & Maintenance Guide

Introduction for overseas property investors
Useful Tools
Property Depreciation Calculator

Claiming travel expenses deductions
Year End Tax Tips for Investment Property Owners!

As the end of the year rapidly approaches, why pay more tax than you need to. Let's look at some Tax tips and traps that you can look at before the 30th June that may save you a few dollars and an ATO audit.

Rental property owners are on the target list again. The advice is pretty stock standard and highlights some common mistakes and areas that the ATO will be looking at such as:

  • renovations claimed as repairs - such as remodelling of bathrooms and kitchens
  • claiming too much interest on loans that also have a private component;
  • claiming the full cost of an inspection visit to your property when it is combined with a private purpose such as a holiday;
  • claiming full deductions for properties when it is only available for rent part of the year and used as your holiday house for the rest of the year;
  • claiming the cost of land as a capital works deduction; and
  • claiming depreciation on assets such as fixtures, when instead they are capital works deductions.

To ensure that your get the maximum claims for Depreciation and Capital Works deductions, you should ensure that you have a Quantity Surveyors report, especially if your property is fairly new.

If you prepay a rental property expense such as insurance or interest on borrowed funds, you can claim up to 12 months prepayments. This is particular handy if you have sold a property this year and have a capital gain. Ensure you speak to your finance people first before prepaying interest as some loans do not have this prepay interest facility.

If you travel to inspect or maintain your property or collect rent from the tenant, you may be able to claim the costs of travelling as a deduction. You are allowed a full deduction where the sole purpose of the trip relates to the rental property. Keep a record of your expenses and a record of the kilometres travelled.

Expenditure for repairs you make to the property may be deductible. However, the repairs must relate directly to wear and tear or other damage that occurred as a result of renting out the property. Repairs generally involve a replacement or renewal of a worn out or broken part. Confusion often arises when the whole item is replaced and this is often treated as capital and not deductible.

If you have sold a property this year just remember that the contract date is the date for Capital Gains calculations not the settlement date. We find many clients fall into this trap and all of a sudden have an unexpected tax issue.

To assist you in claiming all of your expenses refer to the "Useful Documents - Rental Property Checklist" to the right of this page.  It is a fairly extensive list and some may not apply to you, however it may also remind you of a few expenses which you have forgotten to claim also.

Kevin Scambler

Tel: (07) 5452 7205  -  Email: - Address: Suite 7, “Perlan House” 50 Aerodrome Road Maroochydore Q 4558
Copyright © 2014 Kevin P Scambler & Associates, All Rights Reserved